Love in the times of recession (Part 1)

A broken ring, a keychain, a lunch bill , a vogue magazine , many excel training manuals, excel shortcuts,cluster of green teas and a stack of letters wrapped in a pink satin ribbon...it was all in the pedestal ..It was Trisha's first day in Merrill Lynch. She was super excited to be in the new office. Sitting in her cubicle she was trying to get used to the new space.

3 months passed and she was dying of curiosity to whom it belonged. But opening someone else's private letters was rude." Oh..so it is you who sits at Patricia's desk", an fellow co-worker added. Trisha smiled coyly as she was never the social or extraverted one. She wanted to know more about Patricia, who was she , where she went ..but she never asked.

Another 2 months passed and the team got a mail from the compliance division asking about disposing all the old papers in their drawers to the paper shredder. As a rule they were supposed to dump all the confidential papers older than 6 months in a confidential shredder bin . They were given a time span of one week  to do it . Trisha once again opened all the drawers of her pedestal to dispose all the she prints she had taken and once again saw the bunch of dog eared papers wrapped in a satin ribbon. And this time after thinking twice she quickly picked it up and kept it in her purse. Yes she felt is was really rude  but what if they have some really important communication. What if someone needs to be notified. And what if Patricia is searching for them in some corner of the world?

It was a friday and she came home to know that her husband Will had to travel to Seattle for a weekend conference in the next few hours. So well she had the weekend for herself and no real plans. After seeing him off to the airport  
she came home relaxed a bit and finally did what she wanted to do for a long time..she opened her first letter


New York City,
12 Feb 2005

Dear Bob,
Life was so simple when we were in Cornwall.Here I am in the big New York city , sitting in my fancy office doing the job I always wanted and I am already missing you.I don't know whether you are missing me But I often think about the goodtimes we   spent together, gazing the stars in the sky, talking about our dreams and walking past midnight in the dark alleys hoping that we dont get mugged. I still remember the first time we had tea together from the same cup in the expensive cafe where people drank coffees but I being hell bent on my tsaiophilia drank tea and made you the  handsome signor have tea too. I still remember the feel of your lips on the tea cup and me trying to drink tea from the same cup hoping to get closer to you....

The letter was long and Trisha read every bit word of the woman who was madly in love with her man. Behind the letter were the postage stamps and was addressed to

Roberto (Bob) Santiago,
3 Salle buenos,
Seville,
Spain

And then she picked the next one

..Rains in these big cities always remind me of the times spent with you. Do you remember the night in Winter when we missed the last train and walked in the rain..careful and cautious pretending not to get too close where as all our hearts wanted was to kiss then walking in the drizzly showers and the cold weather..and you holding my hand lest I should slip on the slippery ground 

She kept on reading a few more..some were big and some were just too small ..but big enough to moist her eyes

...At night when I am lonely , all what i think of is you..think of how it would be if you were lying next to me ..how would it be to talk to you of your day

.. When it snows I think of you..how would it be to skate on the ice rink in the Rockfellers centre or how would it be to sing Christmas carols with you

It was 4 am in the morning.. And Trisha couldn't sleep. If Patricia had so much love for Roberto why had he not replied? "Did he not love her back? Was he heartless enough to not reply to the naive lady who had lost her heart to him? Would Roberto be dead ? No no..or would he have any other woman in his  life? Or was he is Criminal or was he just playing around? " Thoughts ran like wild horses. And all of a sudden at 4 am in the morning, Trisha wanted to cry for a stranger being away from beloved. How would Patricia survive without Roberto for so long? She couldnt even think of staying without her husband Will for a week! 
All she wanted was to grab super powers and unite Patricia and Roberto. But how?

Finally she picked the last letter..36th letter

New York City
13 Feb 2008

Dear Bob,
It s been 3 years and I have been missing everything about you. I don't know why you haven't replied to my letters in the past 36 months.. But my heart says you still love me.. Much more than I love you.. I tried to reach on your phone too but I am afraid could not get through.

Things are not very good here and my bank may sell itself out too. I may lose my job and hence living in Manhattan would not be easy for me. I would not want to move back to my parents house in Cornwall as Cornwall is not  a place to live without you. I fear you have something which is troubling you but may not want to disclose. I ll wait for you to reply to me.. But my address may change.. And If I may be of some help Bob I ll always be there for you

Love 
Yours
Patricia 

There was also a lovely picture of a lady with brown hair of petite appearance and a smile which would light up the room and along with a man if medium athletic built with a cute boy looks and having dark hair and eyes , like a true spaniard.

It was dawn and Trisha was shaken..she was sobbing and desperate to unite the lovers. That night she prayed in the church for the love of unknown person ..so that she be united to her lover.

6 months passed and one fine day Will and Trisha went for their morning walk in the central park.


To be continued....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Cycles: by Paulo Coelho

Breaking Free: 7 Things I Stopped Doing as a Former People Pleaser

A Celeb Extravaganza: My Triple Starstruck Bonanza on January 7th with the Power of Manifestation! 🌟🎉