My First Trek : Learnings and Experiences


Super excited I couldn’t sleep at night.It was going to be my first trek the next morning.I was excited, anxious, a bit nervous too but had decided to go. I got up in the morning 15 mins before the alarm but with severe headache and nausea.But this unexpected twist made me wonder what was happening.Couldnt stop the severe headache, nausea and dizziness.I showered got ready and wore my trek gear and the feeling worsened.I barely could get up from my bed. It was 5:30 am on my clock

I was not sure what I was going to do .I picked up my phone and called up my friend who had arranged this trek.“Shivani- I think I ll unable to make it”
“Hey Ash what happened? Are you okay?”She asked me concerned.I kept telling her exactly what I was feeling “ You ll be fine - I ll send you some Reiki” she said. I too kept giving reiki to my forehead (ajna chakra) and stomach (the solar plexus).I wasn’t really sure how I was going to get up from the bed as was feeling extremely sick.

Meanwhile my supermom entered my room pat my head and said “ You ll be alright beta.  Drink this” She gave me some freshly squeezed ginger lemon home remedy. And glass of lime water. “ Just get up book an Uber and go. Trust me you ll be fine. Once you step out of home..you ll forget you were feeling sick”  This was almost like a Magical  scene straight out of a disney movie where  the wounded warrior princess encounters a fairy godmother who gives her magic potion to drink and gets up. And the magic potion works

The Uber showed 1 minute away and I booked it. Then just having faith in this super mom’s words -I just pushed myself at the longest distance I ever walked..between my bed ..and my floor lift. I grabbed my backpack kissed my mom and left. It was 5:55 am .. and my Uber showed arrived.
The Uber wasn’t outside my society gate nor could my security guard see it reaching.I tried time and again to call the Uber driver but he refused to pick up.I started walking outside the gate and tred towards the main road looking for a black yellow cab as the Bus was about to leave the meeting point in a few minutes and I had to reach the meeting point come what may. No black yellow cabs, no people on the road except a few joggers running and a few vegetable vendors running from one place to the other.The ever buzzing trafficked road was almost looking like a deserted place.I was getting hyper and my friend was calling from the meeting point as I was the only member the bus was waiting for
At that moment I wondered why was this happening and ..why were the things not easy.. and why was no uber..  why couldn’t I get a single cab……..I went in the victim mode.
And then a loud voice in my head said “ Shut Up Ashwini..just give up that f***ing control..listen to the morning sounds..stay in the moment..live it fully”

I immediately switched on the surrender mode and did …the morning looked sounded..smelled beautiful.. lot of fresh air ..no pollution..there were chirping birds..twilight coloured dawn sky..almost rainy cold droplets touching my face..I thought “wow this is so beautiful” and I said
“ Universe I know exactly what you are doing..I trust you..take me to my venue..” I breathed..and was just there..Time actually stopped.. when I surrendered

Next moment was a miracle a cab came from nowhere and stopped in front of me..and I reached the meeting point in no time ..i told you the time stopped for me..I boarded the bus last and left for Palasdhari – the trekking point I was headed to.


“Ash are you better babe?” My friend asked hugging me” Yes I am better than before”
“Take a nap you ll be fine..We are gonna Rock” She said lighting up my mood further
I sat in the comfortable seat and vanished in my slumberland with no idea of what was happening after.This was the deepest sleep I had in the last few days!
As we neared the venue I started seeing the beautiful nature calling me to explore the magic.The Professionals showed us the beautiful hill from the distance  which we were gonna explore that day.The trek was great..the group was wonderful and the weather was best..as if touched by magic

There is so much to say about the nature and the journey..however the Philosopher in me has chosen to write  the below lessons I learnt in my nature walk.These can be applied to the life and make more sense there too.Hope you like it
 
1.Big goals look bigger even impossible from a distance but are actually not that difficult to achieve..Don’t be afraid if big goals .When we began the trek our tour leader showed the mountain and said ‘this is the hill we ll be climbing “. At first I thought..No I don’t think I will  make it...” but eventually we all did. When you see mountains tall don’t be afraid to climb . .
2.Take small steps : Taking small steps makes your journey not just easy but also joyful. Watch your step each part of the trek was beautiful and different and required us to keep feet firmly on.. The reason why we had so much ease was we took small steps with patience till we reached the top. Similarly in pursuit of the goals too just take small steps .Martin Luther King Jr. says — 'Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.
3.Focus on what is in front of you rather than the distractions : Look at your step and dont look down the steep valley. Well on the trek I simply kept looking ahead. I have had a severe phobia of heights . But still I decided to go and then on the trek I did not look down on the valley . If I would have I d have ended up feeling dizzy and worst -if  I wouldn’t look straight I d miss my step and slip.  In life many times we take eyes off our goal or focus and instead look at the other scary things. Thus we slip in life and lose focus. Focus on small steps and don’t be afraid.Be careful as accidents can be fatal!
4.Even if you slip don’t get frightened- keep taking support time to time : In trekking and in life don’t let setbacks and failures affect you.In such instances instead ask for help.When a setback affects you , if you don’t move forward because of the fear of failure you ll get stuck there.What distinguishes champions from rest of the world is ability to get up after being failed.
5.Ask for help : This trek wouldn’t have been possible without then amazing team of Countryside Adventure Holidays. They guided us so well in the tricky terrains ,while walking through cliffs, waterfalls,rivulets and slippery rocks. It is true that when you are walking an unexplored hill always go with an expert who has explored it before.  They ll always guide you with the trek. This is very similar to the role of a spiritual teacher in life who guide you about how to deal with ups and downs in life, how to cope with lower emotions and how to deal with setbacks. When in doubt ask for help. There is always someone who knows more than you
6.Take short breaks : All said and done it makes sense to take short breaks..and to enjoy the view  from every different spots of the mountain as well as to celebrate small achievements of crossing a big patch. In life take a break and enjoy celebrate small successes. Pat your back .A milestone is a milestone.Enjoy the scenic beauty ..celebrate success
7.Break the comfort zone: Trekking was totally totally totally out of my league but still I attempted and made a choice to go.Once a while in life attempt something out of your comfort zone.And see what shows up.New things open new opportunities
8.Learn from experience : Keep learning with every experience. You are never too old to learn something new.Studies say when you learn from your experience you get richer.
9.Concentrate on footwork : Look at the small details.While trekking we were told a number of details like to avoid slippery rocks and step on grass instead.These minute details mattered a lot because it came from the experts and made my journey better.As Benajamin Franklin says “ Investment in knowledge gives the highest return”
10.Don’t compare your journey with anyone: Whether you finish first or last or in between it doesn’t matter. You achieved your targets.Some friends will walk ahead..some will walk behind..you ll miss some old and make some new..some  will share life stories with you and you ll share some with absolute strangers who ll become friends in the journey..no matter what you do with whom you go..Respect it is your journey and enjoy it!!
11.Finally - Surrender the experience and live in the present : I faced so much resistance in the morning for going for this trek.Right from health issues .. to having no transport..But the moment I surrendered to the universe everything went so well.Trust that there is something bigger than you taking care of you and everything in your life.Trust that superpower ,,Life is a beautiful journey..Enjoy it at fullest
Special Thanks to the Team of Countryside Holidays for making this trip so wonderful.A big hug and thanks to my friend Shivani who arranged it and who supported me with loads love and Reiki

Love to All my Readers
Ashwini

Ps : Cherry on the cake was I won first prize in the photography competition

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Cycles: by Paulo Coelho

Breaking Free: 7 Things I Stopped Doing as a Former People Pleaser

A Celeb Extravaganza: My Triple Starstruck Bonanza on January 7th with the Power of Manifestation! 🌟🎉