Scotland Haste Ye back (Part 1)

Kuch Kuch Hota hai was a superhit movie of 1990s.We all loved it .I personally liked the title song especially the location and always dreamt I should go there.

So a Genie grant me a wish and it came true.In Aug 2011 I went to the beautiful scenic Scotland, a country which you feel is straight out of storybooks more specifically fairy tales.The castles,the green fields,the highlands,the bagpipers playing on the street,the grazing cattle and sheep,the stony buildings and the cool breeze running in the air.
The moment I landed on Edinburgh Airport, I could feel the "scots' air.There was something different about this place.Something unique,something beautiful,something soothing.Not just to the eyes,to the heart too.May be because this was my first visit to Scotland or may be because I had never experience any "colder" place before.But all said and done it was like the love at first sight.
We hired a cab to reach the hotel and it was almost 11.00 o clock at night when we reached.The hotel room was well lit,spacious and stylish with a mix of traditional  chandeliers and lamps.The city of Edinburgh was beautiful.Its a city with history.


Early morning the next day we left for our sight seeing tour.It was the peak of summer and I was dressed up in scarf ,coat gloves,closed shoes unlike the locals who were running around in shorts.We took thecity tour bus.This is  a typical  open rooftop bus .These kind of buses are very common in UK , rather Europe.They offer city tour taking you to the best places in the city and are equipped with a running commentary via headphones.Added advantage is you can chose the language you want to hear the commentary in from English,French,German,Spanish,Italian.Unfortunately there was no commentary in Marathi..my mother tongue:-) but since English is almost become my mother tongue I was able to comprehend things well

The weather was cool breezy yet sunny.I could feel the whiff of cold air as the bus was proceeding.I just let my hair down and allowed the wind to drift me by its charm.The Princess street and the Royal mile are the 2 main areas to "feel " Scottish .It is the heart of the city.And then all of a sudden I could hear the beautiful sound of traditional Scottish bagpipes. A gentleman dressed in the traditional kilts a was playing the bagpipes exactly the way they appeared in the books.I felt as if I was a part of history.We saw many places on the way including Arthur's Seat,The Elephant House where JK Rowling wrote "The Harry potter"(I am an ardent,staunch fanatic of the series),the Headquarters of Royal Bank of Scotland

We then reached the much anticipated place.Edinburgh Castle.It again took me straight in the Europe history.Its situated on top of an extinct volcano.The Castle serves as a host to many events including the Millitary Tatoo and dominates the city skyline.We saw all places in the Castle. From Mons Meg, Half Moon Battery and David's Tower ,Crown Space,Upper ward to Great Hall and Argyle Tower.It was nice to learn history and view the picturesque backgrounds simultaneously.
By the time we finished touring the castle it was evening.However due to the Summer,it wasn’t dark till 10.00 pm.We spent rest of the time shopping for traditional Scottish scarves,souvenirs,biscuits and other small tokens as a remembrance of the city.We went off to bed early to gear up for the next big day when we were going to highlands

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Cycles: by Paulo Coelho

Breaking Free: 7 Things I Stopped Doing as a Former People Pleaser

A Celeb Extravaganza: My Triple Starstruck Bonanza on January 7th with the Power of Manifestation! 🌟🎉