Art of communicating Authentically

The Art of communicating Authentically in formal situations 

While running some errands yesterday I took a cab to the place I was supposed to go. The place was on opposite side of the road and the cabbie had a choice at a crossroad to drop me right outside the building or on the opposite side.

Can you please take the cab straight and drop me right outside that building?
I asked him in the national language 

He was quiet for a few seconds 

And then replied “ I can..but...”
Again a large pause 

I straight away asked him “ You can - but you won’t? Or You will?
Give me a straight reply” 

He waited a few seconds and said” If I drop you on the opposite side madam - my cab will get stuck in that lane. I have to go from here to Prabhadevi and if I do not reach in 15 mins it will be a problem “

I again asked him “ So will you be dropping me on this side of the road or the opposite “

Finally he said - It will be difficult to drop you on opposite side because I ll take lot of time to take a U turn”

The fellow was really old. The cab was even older. Thankfully the rain gods had stopped their angry tandav. And it would hardly take me any time to cross 

As a final word I asked him - So you will not drop me on the opposite side?

To which he replied in a scared voice” No madam - is that ok?” He spoke in an extremely meek and polite voice

It took so long for him to say a No. But glad he did. 

Communication has been an important part of our life but how many of us know how to effectively communicate?
In India where things are cultural we haven’t yet learned to say Yes or No in black and white. 

On observing the communication for business  in India and comparing it with the western world ,following were some surprising observations 

-Indians use may be or I ll let you know or I ll try when they actually want to say No
- Indians say Yes and overburden themselves to meet commitments even when they cannot just because they want to be polite
- We Indians speak too much of details first confusing the person wha the outcome of the discussion is
- This can create a situation where we overcommit and underperform

A few basic rules 
- Say Yes or No with conviction . No need to feel guilty
- No one is interested in your details and stories when it comes to formal communication so be crisp and straightforward 
- If you still feel like explaining: First firmly say Yes or No and only then explain.
- Be assertive and be polite : It is the best way to communicate. You can say Yes or No without sounding rude or guilty.
- It is wonderful to be flexible in your approach but do not let that stop you from speaking what you really want to

Live from Authenticity- Communicate freely and fearlessly
Ashwini Chube
Unicorn Insight 

For more log on
www.unicorninsight.com

Blog
Philowini.blogspot.com 


#coffeecubiclecabin #formalcommunication #authenticity #assertiveness

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Closing Cycles: by Paulo Coelho

Breaking Free: 7 Things I Stopped Doing as a Former People Pleaser

21 days of Success- Day 4